IRS has posted on its website a list of tax tips for newlyweds and couples who expect to marry in the near future.
The tips include “important steps [couples] need to take to avoid stress at tax time,” IRS said.
The tips include the following:
- Report any name change to the Social Security Administration so that a name and Social Security number will match when a tax return is filed
- Notify IRS and the U.S. Postal Service if there is a new address
- Report any name and address change to employers to ensure receipt of Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, after the end of the year
- Use the IRS Withholding Calculator to determine the correct amount of withholding needed for a new filing status
- Select the correct tax forms
- And choose the best filing status.
IRS Summertime Tax Tip 2011-20 is located on the IRS website at http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=210762,00.html.